Um... you know, I don't actually know if I did anything 'new' this year. Went to my first gala premier, that count?
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
A world of no. Not even when I was a kid and it revolved aroudn me trying not to bite my nails. Don't keep 'em so I won't be making 'em.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Alas, I am still passport-less (too lazy to get it renewed) so the only country other than my own I've visited was England.
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
Time, security, self-confidence, a job I like.
7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Not so good at remembering specific dates, sorry.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Admitting I needed help with my depression. And starting down the road to getting that help.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting over my inability to say no to certain people.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope, not really.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The tickets to the Joss Whedon: Reel Life talk in Edinburgh.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Can I completely embarrass him and say smhwpf? You astound me with your compassion Sam, you're the kind of person everyone - including me - wishes they could be. *hugs*
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Need I list the politicians and public figures whose actions I despair of?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Honestly? My mortgage and other bills. Everything else went on conventions and geekdom events. *g*
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
August in Edinburgh.
16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
Smile Like You Mean It - it was kinda a convention theme song for us last year and it carried through to this year as well.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Actually? Happier. I think.
ii. thinner or fatter? Alas, fatter.
iii. richer or poorer? Ha!
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Despite my vow not to do it this year, I will be spending the entire day at my sister's house. My brother-in-law is working on the day.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
I don't use the phone a lot, so it's probably my sister.
22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
23. How many one-night stands?
A lady doesn't kiss and tell... None. *g*
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Kitchen Confidential, Veronica Mars, Lost.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I try not to hate, it takes too much energy. There are people on my shit list who weren't there last year.
26. What was the best book you read?
I actually have read very little this year - Buddha Da was pretty cool though.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That I haven't completely forgotten everything I knew about playing guitar! Oh, you mean like a band or genre, right? It's a toss up between Arctic Monkeys and Nizlopi right now.
28. What did you want and get?
What did I want? Um... tickets to the Premier and to the Reel Life talk. Got 'em.
29. What did you want and not get?
New (or fixed) camera
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I think certain people would drag me out into the town square and stone me if I didn't say Serenity. So it's just as well I really did like it then!
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Haven't had a birthday yet in 2005. When it comes I'll be a little older than I was in 2004.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Guilt-free happiness. Sounds insane but every time I've been even a little happy this year there's been a nagging voice somewhere in my head making a list of all the things I have yet to do.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
If it fits and is clean, it gets worn. I wear what I've always worn - jeans or combats, a t-shirt (usually v-neck) and maybe a zippered cardigan on top. Although having said that, I did wear a dress this year!
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Start of the year? Close tie between Nick and Nathan. Now? Sean Maher. And Nick. *g*
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I get very het up about politics and I rarely share it here because there are people far better informed than I who do just that. As a result, anything I say right now would be coloured by my current feelings (such as the ridiculousness of the UK political parties focusing on the 'spin' and whether their leader is young and dynamic enough when there are far more important issues out there). The campaing I was most involved in this year (and have been for years and will no doubt continue to be) is Make Poverty History. So I guess I could say the G8 conference.
37. Who did you miss?
Everyone who is no longer a part of my life, whatever the reason.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
In real life? I don't think I really met any new people I could name.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
If you need help, ask for it. It doesn't make you weak.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Things can only get better.